The Hydrogen Fuel Creation Process
The use of hydrogen fuel is among the most exciting developments in alternative fuel sources, and the Toyota Mirai is the first of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles to utilize this technology. Though hydrogen is one of the most common occurring substances on the planet, it isn’t simply plucked from the air. Hydrogen is isolated from compounds by these three processes:
- Steam reforming: The most common method utilizes a reformer to distill fuel at high temperatures from liquid and gaseous compounds sourced from landfills.
- Gasification: Waste from crops and livestock is converted into hydrogen fuel using high temperatures to separate the hydrogen.
- Electrolysis: Using an electrical current, water is separated into hydrogen and oxygen.
Hydrogen Fuel is Changing the Way We Think About Alternative Fuels
The use of hydrogen fuel leaves next to no carbon footprint, with little CO2 emissions and water vapor being its only waste product. The first year that you own the new Toyota Mirai, hydrogen fuel is complimentary* at any hydrogen fuel station in the California area. Allowing you to go further than electric vehicles, some of the benefits of driving the Toyota Mirai include:
- The total range is estimated at 312 miles for every tank**.
- Smart engine technology protects the fuel cell from exploding should you be in an accident.
- You can still enjoy luxury features like Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, integrated navigation, and a touchscreen entertainment center.
Test Drive the Toyota Mirai at Toyota Santa Monica
Our Mirai specialist can show you the new Toyota Mirai and answer your questions about this exciting technology. Schedule an appointment by calling us at 424-231-6982 and learn more about how you can be among the first drivers utilizing hydrogen fuel on the road today. Questions about our inventory or services? Drop us a line with our online contact form.
*Complimentary fuel for three years or $15,000 maximum, whichever comes first. The three year period starts on the date of card activation or 90 days after vehicle sale or lease commencement date, whichever is earlier. Fuel card is nontransferable. The Mirai is a hydrogen-powered fuel cell vehicle that must be fueled at hydrogen stations conforming to the latest SOCIETY OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERS (SAE) hydrogen fueling interface protocol standards or laws that may supersede such SAE standards. Refer to the Mirai Hydrogen Stations Locator App in Entune, www.toyota.com, or call Toyota customer service at 800-331-4331 for information on hydrogen fueling stations available to Mirai.
**2017 EPA-estimated 67 city/67 highway/67 combined MPGe for Mirai and 312-mile driving range. Actual mileage will vary. Range measurement pursuant to SAE J2601 standards (ambient temperature: 20°C; hydrogen tank pressure when fueled: 70 MPa). Fueling time varies with hydrogen fueling pressure and ambient temperature.